The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide To City Spaces
- 2 Seas Represents: World Translation Rights.
- Rights sold: Japan (Film Art Sha), Taiwan (Solution Publishing/Eurasian Publishing Group), Korea (WillBooks), China (Ginkgo Beijing Book, 5-book deal), Turkey (Hep Kitap), under option: Romania.
- Over 43,000 copies sold in the Setting Thesaurus. Over 365,000 copies sold in the series
PRACTICAL GUIDE | CREATIVE WRITING
Drawing Readers in Through Emotion-Driven Imagery and Realism
Making readers care and feel like they’re part of the story should be the number one goal of all writers. Ironically, many storytellers fail to maximize one of fiction’s most powerful elements to achieve this: the setting. Rather than being a simple backdrop against which events unfold, every location has the potential to become a conduit for conveying emotion, characterizing the cast, providing opportunities for deep point of view, and revealing significant backstory.
MAKE YOUR DESCRIPTION WORK HARDER FOR YOUR STORY
- A list of the sights, smells, tastes, textures, and sounds for over 120 urban settings
- Possible sources of conflict for each location to help you brainstorm ways to naturally complicate matters for your characters
- Advice on how to make every piece of description count so you can maintain the right pace and keep readers engaged
- Tips on utilizing the five senses to encourage readers to more fully experience each moment by triggering their own emotional memories
- Information on how to use the setting to characterize a story’s cast through personalization and emotional values while using emotional triggers to steer their decisions
- A review of specific challenges that arise when choosing an urban location, along with common descriptive pitfalls that should be avoided
The Urban Setting Thesaurus helps you tailor each setting to your characters while creating a realistic, textured world your readers will long to return to, even after the book closes.
Japan (Film Art Sha), Taiwan (Solution Publishing)