The Conflict Thesaurus Series
VOLUME 1 – 280 pp. – October 2021
USING FRICTION TO SHAPE AND GROW CHARACTERS
Every story starts with a character who is motivated by a need and has a goal that can resolve it. Whether their objective is to find a life partner, bring a killer to justice, overthrow a cruel regime, or something else, conflict transforms a story premise into something fresh. Physical obstacles, adversaries, moral dilemmas, deep-seated doubts and personal struggles…these not only block a character’s external progress, they become a gateway for internal growth. The right conflict will build tension and high stakes, challenge characters as they traverse their arcs, and most importantly, keep readers emotionally invested from beginning to end.
CHOOSE MEANINGFUL CONFLICT TO FIT YOUR CHARACTER AND STORY
Inside Volume 1 of The Conflict Thesaurus, you’ll find:
- A myriad of conflict options in the form of relationship friction, failures and mistakes, moral dilemmas and temptations, pressure and ticking clocks, and no-win scenarios
- An analysis of each scenario that maps out possible complications and catastrophes, internal struggles, and the stressful impacts on a character’s basic human needs
- Guidance on using conflict to influence your protagonist’s character arc through opportunities for failure and success
- Master class instruction on internal conflict: what it is, why it’s important, and how to incorporate it at the scene and story levels
- Information about the role conflict plays in generating high stakes that are personally significant to the character, upping the tension for readers
- A breakdown of the various adversaries your character might encounter along the way
Don’t give your character a break. Keep the hits coming with a variety of obstacles that will force them to work harder to get what they want. With over 100 entries arranged in a user-friendly format, The Conflict Thesaurus is the guide you need to write intense and satisfying fiction readers won’t forget.
VOLUME 2 – 291 pp. – September 2022
A story where the character gets exactly what they want doesn’t make for good reading. But add villainous clashes, lost advantages, power struggles, and menacing threats…well, now we have the makings of a page-turner. Conflict is the golden thread that binds plot to arc, providing the complications, setbacks, and derailments that make the character’s inner and outer journeys dynamic.
Inside Volume 2 of The Conflict Thesaurus, you’ll find:
- A myriad of conflict options in the form of power struggles, ego-related stressors, dangers and threats, advantage and control losses, and other miscellaneous challenges
- Information on how each scenario should hinder the character on the path to their goal so they’ll learn valuable life lessons and gain insight into what’s holding them back internally
- Instruction about using the multiple levels of conflict to add pressure through immediate, scene-level challenges and looming problems that take time to solve
- Guidance on keeping a story’s central conflict in the spotlight and utilizing subplots effectively so they work with—not against—the main plotline
- An exploration of the climax and how to make this pinnacle event highly satisfying for readers
- Ways to use conflict to deepen your story, facilitate epic adversarial showdowns, give your characters agency, and infuse every scene with tension
Meaningful conflict can be so much more than a series of roadblocks. Challenge your characters inside and out with over 100 tension-inducing scenarios in this second volume of The Conflict Thesaurus. And for more instruction on how to use this element to enhance your story (and an additional 100+ conflict scenarios), check out The Conflict Thesaurus, Volume 1.
- 18,000 copies sold of Vol. 1
- Over 908,000 copies sold in the series
- Over 10,000 reviews/ratings with a 4.5 star average on Amazon and Goodreads for the series (English)