Original title: Mon mari
Bergman meets Ruth Rendell. — Nouvel Obs
Irresistible and delightful — Amélie Nothomb
Shortlisted for four literary prizes, Mon Mari humorously deals with the complexity of love. A salient and funny novel about a marital face-to-face, Mon Mari is one of the most demanded books of the rentrée littéraire. […] What if you always loved your spouse as if it was the first day ? The wild idea of novelist Maud Ventura. — Madame Figaro
As funny as it is fierce, Mon Mari portrays a terrible observation about the reality of the contemporary couple. An outstanding novel! A clinical tone, a sharpened pen, and a tasty second degree. Throughout this book, Maud Ventura builds intense suspense, spreading tension and growing unease with art. — Paris La Douce
Fierce, funny and original, Mon Mari is a novel that should mark the rentrée littéraire. — RTS
Mon Mari, Maud Ventura’s debut novel, possesses a dark, clinical and raspy humour. With a very well-done final twist, as unpredictable as it is Machiavellian, you won’t want to read this vaudeville just once. — Le Nouvel Obs
A funny, fierce literary debut documenting one woman’s secret marital stand-off
She is still deeply in love with her husband after fifteen years together. Now in their forties, they are couple goals – two adorable kids, a big house, a wide circle of friends. But lurking beneath their seeming wedded bliss is a secret: she burns with jealous passion for him. Her cool beauty masks the fire aflame within. He seems happy with their gradual slide towards gentler affection: his kisses are perfunctory and her nakedness no longer arouses him. To prove to herself that his love is fading, she secretly starts keeping track of everything he does, looking for signs he has tired of her. She spends weeks methodically recording his “mistakes”, thinking up suitable punishments, laying traps, even cheating on him to test their relationship. She constantly vies with other women to be the most beautiful, desirable, perfect. Readers will identify with her and be repelled by her, torn between laughter and nervous anticipation as the tension rises, page after page. A highly original, disturbing literary debut recording a marital stand-off with one unwitting participant.
- English sample available
- Over 80,000 copies sold
- A feminist study of modern marital life and the unassailable fantasy of lasting marital bliss.
- A charismatic 28-year-old author and radio personality with a strong social media presence. Maud Ventura began her career with France Inter and has just moved to the leading radio station NRJ to head up their podcast division. A remarkable talent, taking a scalpel to modern coupledom.
- Winner of the Prix du Premier roman 2021, Prix Lycéens
- Shortlisted for the Prix de la Vocation 2021, the Prix Médicis 2021 and the Prix de Flore 2021
- Longlisted for: Prix Stanislas 2021, Prix Envoyé par La Poste 2021, Talents Cultura 2021 and Prix Décembre 2021