“Insightful and sensitive. This important book provides a new understanding of a child’s
disruptive behaviour.” — Stephen W. Porges, PhD, distinguished scientist at Indiana University, Professor of Psychiatry at the University of North Carolina, and originator of the Polyvagal Theory
Discovering the Missing Piece in the Puzzle of Children’s Behaviour
Every day, adults who care spend time with children without understanding the answers to these important questions:
- What is the BIG question every child is asking all the time, even though they don’t realise it?
- What is really at the root of children’s behaviour?
- How can adults help a child bring out their best (and it’s not what you think)?
Grounded provides answers to these crucial questions and gives parents and professionals insight into the hidden dynamics that go on between an adult and a child – something that most parents and teachers don’t know.
Are you around a child who..?
- feels like a mystery
- does things out of nowhere
- is getting a reputation for being naughty or badly behaved
- does things and then seems not to remember them
- has big emotional outbursts
- gets on OK with adults or younger children, but struggles with peers?
- goes quiet, withdrawn, even unresponsive
- you don’t know what else to try
Often children’s behaviour leaves parents and professionals baffled and feeling totally dis-empowered. We’ve already changed things for 1000’s of grown-ups… this book can help you too.
Exploring the common desire adults share to be there for children, and bring out the best in them,
Grounded also provides significant insight into how adults often sabotage their great intentions by not understanding how the nervous system works.
The latest science of the nervus system, human survival interactions, neurophysiology and Polyvagal Theory are all brought to life and made accessible for any adult to understand. Packed with relatable, real-life stories of children interacting with adults in the classroom and at home, it is a must read for teachers, parents, and therapists.
A book with a message that is born out of 25 years of Claire Wilson’s clinical, educational, and advisory experience, Grounded combines understanding with solutions and easy-to-apply practical tips. This is a must-have resource for all adults who spend time with children in homes, or schools, or anywhere.
Soon after starting work as a primary teacher, Claire Wilson realised she wanted to help children more significantly than just learning times tables. Wilson retrained and became a sought-after Play Therapist and Clinical Supervisor. Through this work, Wilson realised the greatest impact she could have on children was through supporting the parents and teachers around them.
- The author gave a TEDx talk on the concept of neuroception, which you can find o YouTube here.