DataStory: Explain Data and Inspire Action Through Story
What if you sliced data and found a huge problem or opportunity? Data did its job, but now it needs a storyteller. The way insights are communicated could reverse or increase the trajectory of data. The actions you ask others to take today can change your future data. But getting others to move forward with those actions only happens when someone communicates well. As you grow in your career, you can become a strategic adviser and ultimately a leader using data to shape a future where humanity and organisations flourish.
Almost every role today uses data for decision making. This book is not about visualising data, there are plenty of books covering that. Instead, you’ll learn how to transform numbers into inspirational narratives to drive action.
In DataStory you’ll learn to:
- Explain data through the lens of empathy
- Spark action through story structures
- Craft recommendations that get approved
- Write clear observations of charts and annotate them
- Structure and layout a Slidedoc
- Inspire others with data that sticks
Nancy Duarte’s firm, Duarte, Inc., has created some of the most important presentations in the world since 1988. As one of the preeminent storytellers of the Silicon Valley, her firm has served almost 200 of the Fortune 500 companies in shaping communication strategies, presentation narratives, memorable visuals and impactful delivery.
For DataStory, Duarte culled through thousands of data slides from her clients in consumer, technology, finance, and healthcare industries. This book covers the findings in the language, structure and visual hierarchy helping data to be understood and acted on
- Gold Medal in the 2020 Axiom Awards
- 2020 Independent Press Award (distinguished favorite)
- 2019 Foreword Indie Award
- 2019 IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award
- 2019 Best Book Award